How I Passed the FRM Exam: My Study Strategy & Tips
When I decided to pursue the Financial Risk Manager (FRM) designation, I knew I was signing up for a challenge. However, I underestimated just how grueling the mental marathon would be. The FRM isn't just a test of financial knowledge; it is a test of endurance, time management, and sheer willpower.
I passed both Parts on my first attempt, but it wasn't because I am a genius. It was because I had a ruthless strategy.
If you are staring at the GARP curriculum wondering where to start, here is exactly what I did—the good, the bad, and the study tips that actually saved my grade.
Part 1: The Mindset Shift (Before You Open a Book)
Before I bought my first practice exam, I had to accept one hard truth: This is not a "memorization" test. It is a conceptual application test.
GARP doesn't care if you can recite the formula for Black-Scholes. They care if you know what happens to the option price when volatility spikes during a liquidity crisis. I had to shift from "learning to pass" to "learning to think like a risk manager."
My Tip: Write down the "Why." For every formula I learned, I forced myself to write a one-sentence explanation of why this formula exists in the real world. If I couldn't explain it to a non-finance friend, I didn't understand it well enough.
Part 2: The "No Textbooks" Rule (My Core Strategy)
This is controversial, but I want to be honest: I did not read the official GARP textbooks cover to cover.
The GARP books are massive, dry, and often contain far more detail than you need for the exam. Reading them is a passive activity, and passive studying is the enemy of passing.
My Strategy:
-
Schweser Notes: I used the Kaplan Schweser study notes as my primary "textbook." They are concise and highlight the high-yield topics.
-
GARP Books as a Dictionary: I only opened the official GARP books when I encountered a concept in Schweser that didn't make sense. I used them for clarification, not for first-time learning.
This saved me hundreds of hours. The FRM is about breadth, not depth. You need to know 80% of 100 topics, not 100% of 30 topics.
Part 3: My "3-Pass" Study Methodology
I didn't study linearly. I studied in layers. I split my 4-month study plan into three distinct "passes."
Pass 1: The Foundation (Months 1 & 2)
-
I watched video lectures at 1.5x speed (don't do 2x, you'll miss nuances).
-
I read the Schweser notes and took Cornell-style notes (keywords in the left margin, definitions on the right).
-
At the end of each week, I did 10 questions from the topic I just studied. I didn't care about getting them wrong; I cared about understanding the language of the question.
Pass 2: The Deep Dive (Month 3)
-
This is where the real learning happened. I re-read my notes, but this time, I focused on the "Tricky Bits" (e.g., GARCH vs. EWMA, or the differences between VaR methodologies).
-
I created a "Formula Sheet" - but not a digital one. I hand-wrote it. The physical act of writing formulas on a whiteboard helped my muscle memory.
-
I started doing Topic-Based Quizzes. If I scored below 70% on a specific reading, I went back to the GARP book for that section only.
Pass 3: The Gauntlet (Month 4 & Final Week)
-
This was pure exam simulation.
-
I stopped reading entirely (except for my formula sheet).
-
I did 100 practice questions a day.
Part 4: The Secret Weapon—Practice Questions
I cannot stress this enough: Doing questions is more important than reading.
I completed approximately 2,000 questions before Part 1 and 2,500 before Part 2. Here is how I did it effectively:
-
GARP’s Official Practice Exams: I treated these like gold. I took them under strict exam conditions (4 hours, no phone, no snacks except water).
-
The "Post-Mortem": This was my most important tip. After every mock exam, I spent twice as long reviewing the answers as I did taking the test.
-
For wrong answers, I wrote down why I got it wrong (Did I misread? Did I guess? Did I run out of time?).
-
For correct answers, I reviewed the "Distractors"—why were the other 3 options wrong?
-
-
The "Hit List": I kept a notebook titled "My Weaknesses." Every time I got a question wrong, the topic went on this list. In the final week, I only studied this list.
Part 5: Tackling the "Qualitative" Nightmare
Part 2 is infamous for its qualitative (non-math) questions. You can pass the math, but the qualitative questions are what separate the top quartile from the rest.
I struggled with this because GARP loves to ask: "Which of the following is the MOST appropriate response?"
My Tip for Qualitative:
-
Stop looking for the "Right" answer. Look for the "Most Correct" answer.
-
I realized that many qualitative answers are actually quotes from the GARP readings. To combat this, I started reading the "Executive Summaries" of the Basel Accords and the GARP Code of Conduct out loud. This helped me absorb the official GARP "tone."
Part 6: The Physics of Time Management
During my first mock exam for Part 1, I ran out of time and had to guess on 15 questions. I failed that mock.
I realized that 4 hours for 100 questions means 2.4 minutes per question. You cannot spend 5 minutes on a complex calculation.
My Strategy:
-
The "Skip & Return" Rule: If I didn't know how to solve a question within 60 seconds, I flagged it, guessed a random answer (so I didn't leave it blank), and moved on. I would only return to the flagged questions if I had time left over.
-
Calculator Ninja: I memorized the "shortcut" keys on my BA II Plus Professional. I practiced hitting the buttons without looking down. Saving 5 seconds per question adds up to 8 minutes by the end of the exam.
Part 7: The Final Week (The Home Stretch)
The week before the exam, I did not learn anything new. This is the golden rule.
-
Day -7 to -3: I took two full mock exams (one every other day).
-
Day -2: I reviewed my "Weakness List" and my hand-written Formula Sheet.
-
Day -1 (The Day Before): I did nothing. I went to the test center to physically see the room. I ate a huge steak dinner, watched a movie, and went to bed at 9 PM.
Sleep is a performance-enhancing drug for the FRM. You cannot think clearly on 4 hours of sleep.
The Verdict: What I Would Do Differently
If I had to do it again, I would start doing mock exams earlier. I started mocks in Month 3, but I should have started them in Week 2. You don't need to know everything to take a mock; you need to learn how the test feels.
Also, I would join a study group (even if online). I did this alone, but discussing "Operational Risk" case studies with peers helps cement the concepts far better than reading them in silence.
Final Words of Encouragement
The FRM is hard. It is likely the hardest exam you will take in your finance career. But it is not impossible.
The person who passes is not the person who is the smartest. It is the person who gets back up after failing a mock exam, who reviews the mistakes, and who walks into the test center with confidence knowing they put in the hours.
Trust your process. Trust your calculator. And when you sit down for that exam, remember: You know more than you think you do.
Good luck. I’ll see you on the other side with the charter.
Comments
Post a Comment