The Keeper That Got Away: Confessions of a Gear Junkie and the One Bag I Swore I’d Never Sell

There is a unique hierarchy of possessions in the life of a traveler. At the bottom, you have the disposable—the toiletries, the worn-out socks, the paper tickets that fade into obscurity. In the middle, you have the reliable—the power banks, the noise-canceling headphones, the travel pillows that are more miss than hit. But at the very top, seated on a throne of nostalgia and practicality, sits The Bag.

We all have one. The backpack, the duffel, the briefcase that feels less like luggage and more like an extension of our own spine. It is the bag that survived the monsoon in Southeast Asia, the one that held your laptop when you got that life-changing job offer, or the one that absorbed the dirt of a thousand subway commutes.

For me, that bag was the Evergoods CPL24 (v1) in standard black. I bought it in 2018, and I held a funeral for it when I sold it in 2022. I’m not being dramatic. I mourned it. And I learned a hard lesson about the psychology of ownership, the trap of "gear minimalism," and the folly of believing that equipment can ever truly be permanent.

Here is the detailed autopsy of a bag I swore I’d keep forever, and why I ultimately betrayed it.

The First Date: The Unboxing

To understand the betrayal, you must understand the infatuation. The CPL24 was, at the time, the holy grail of the everyday carry (EDC) world. Designed by the former lead designer of GoRuck, it was a masterpiece of functional simplicity.

When I first unboxed it, I didn’t just look at it; I inspected it. The 500D Cordura nylon felt like armor. The harness system wasn't just comfortable; it was ergonomic perfection that hugged my back like a tailored suit. I remember showing my partner the "luggage pass-through" and the "quick-access top pocket" with the fervor of a preacher revealing a holy text.

I stood in front of the mirror for twenty minutes just adjusting the load lifters. I made a vow, whispered into the quiet of my living room: "This is it. I’m done buying bags. This is the forever bag."

The Golden Era: The Legend Grows

For three years, that bag lived a life most gear can only dream of. It wasn't just a bag; it was a time machine.

  • The Commute: It carried a 15-inch MacBook Pro, a notebook, and a Hydro Flask through the sleet of Chicago winters. The waxed zippers never failed.

  • The Adventure: It acted as my "personal item" on a two-week trip to Japan, stuffed under the seat in front of me on a 787 Dreamliner. It survived the rain in Kyoto and the dust of Tokyo.

  • The Milestone: It was sitting next to me when I signed the contract for my first book deal. In my mind, that bag was an accessory to my success. It had character now—scuffs on the bottom, a slight fade on the shoulder straps where the sun had kissed it, a faint smell of campfire that refused to leave.

I told everyone who asked, "I’ll never sell this. I’m taking this to the grave."

The Cracks Appear (The Slow Burn)

But relationships, even with inanimate objects, are subject to entropy. It didn't happen all at once. It was a death by a thousand cuts (or, in this case, a thousand little annoyances).

The "Grab-It" Problem: The CPL24 is a "top-grab" bag. To open the main compartment, you have to swing the bag off one shoulder, hold it by the side handle, and unzip it. When I had a coffee in one hand and a train ticket in the other, this became a two-handed circus act that I grew to resent.

The Back Sweat: The 500D Cordura, while rugged, had zero breathability. On a humid summer day in New York, my back would arrive at the office looking like I’d been sprayed with a hose. I started carrying a spare shirt. The bag was becoming a chore.

The Weight: I had started carrying more gear. A tablet, a camera, a bulky battery pack. The CPL24, while comfortable at 15 pounds, was a brick at 20. The perfectly engineered harness couldn't make up for the fact that the bag was too small for my expanding life.

The Temptation: The Devil in the Details

The final nail in the coffin wasn't a failure; it was the release of the CPL24 v2 and later, the CTB26.

The industry moved on. Aer released the Travel Pack 3 Small with a "breathable back panel." Goruck introduced the slick GR1 with a 210D back panel for comfort. Meanwhile, brands like Able Carry started using X-Pac fabric—lighter, waterproof, and more technical.

Suddenly, my "forever bag" looked heavy, sweaty, and dated. The internet forums I frequented began filling up with "What bag replaced your CPL?" threads. I wasn't looking to cheat, but the gear industry is relentless. It whispers in your ear: "You could have a luggage pass-through. You could have quick-access on both sides. You could have less weight."

The Breakup: The Listing

I listed the bag on r/ManyBaggers and eBay. It was a Sunday afternoon. I took the product photos with a heavy heart—trying to capture the "patina" rather than the "wear."

The buyer was a college student from Texas. He messaged me: "I’ve wanted this bag for years. I promise I’ll take care of it."

That message was the knife. I was no longer selling a bag; I was selling a legacy. I packaged it carefully, included the original tags (which I had kept like a madman), and shipped it off.

When the tracking number updated to "Delivered," I felt a physical lurch in my stomach. I had sold a memory. I had sold the bag that traveled with me when I was broke and hungry for success. I had sold the bag that protected my laptop when I spilled a full latte on the train. I had sold my bag.

The Aftermath: The Regret and The Rationalization

I used the money to buy a new bag (an Aer City Pack Pro, for those curious). It’s lighter, it breathes better, and it stands up on its own. It’s a better bag by every metric.

But it’s not my bag.

I don’t know where the CPL24 is now. Maybe it’s under a dorm room desk. Maybe it’s failing a calculus exam. Maybe the Texas humidity has finally broken the zipper. I think about it often. I check the buyer’s Reddit account occasionally to see if he’s posted a review. He hasn't. He just... moved on. As we all do.

Why We Sell the "Forever" Bag

I’ve come to realize that the phrase "I’ll never sell this bag" is a lie we tell ourselves to justify a large purchase. It’s a financial coping mechanism.

  1. We Change: The bag that suited a "digital nomad" lifestyle doesn't suit the "corporate drone" lifestyle. Your EDC changes. Your back changes. You get older, and padding becomes more important than style.

  2. The Industry Pivots: Materials improve. Aquaguard zippers get smoother. YKK makes a better coil. You are not immune to marketing; you are simply a consumer who likes nice things.

  3. The "One Bag" Myth: There is no "One Bag." There is only "The Bag for Right Now." The concept of a permanent bag is as romantic and unrealistic as a permanent haircut.

  4. Sentimental vs. Practical: We over-index on sentiment. We think the bag holds the magic of the trip. It doesn't. We hold the memories. The bag is just the vessel.

The Verdict: Would I Do It Again?

If I could go back to 2022, would I keep the CPL24? Yes. I’d hang it in the closet. I’d let it gather dust. I’d take it out once a year to smell the campfire and remember the Japan trip.

But I didn’t. I sold it. And that’s okay.

Selling the "forever" bag is a rite of passage. It teaches you that minimalism isn't about owning fewer things; it’s about owning the right things for the current version of you. It teaches you that the gear is a tool, not a monument.

So, to the bag I swore I’d never sell: I’m sorry. I hope you’re carrying great things. I hope the zippers are still smooth. I hope you’re making someone else’s commute bearable.

To the rest of you reading this: If you have a bag in your closet that you "swore you’d never sell," sell it. Or don't. But know that you are not the bag. The adventure is not the bag. The bag is just the backpack.

And sometimes, the best thing you can do for a backpack is to let it go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of the Edit: One Hermès Purchase I’d Talk Myself Out Of Today

The Ultimate QC Guide: Birkin 30 Togo Black with Gold Hardware (GHW)

The Quintessential Nightfall: A Detailed Exploration of the Hermès Birkin 25 in Bleu Nuit Togo with Palladium Hardware